Delano Diabetic Clinic
Delano Diabetic Clinic
1519 Garces Highway, Suite. 103
Delano, CA 93215
Control your Diabetes. For Life.
Learning more about diabetes and making healthy changes to your lifestyle will increase your sense of control, and your quality of life.
Let our Diabetes Clinic staff help you learn how to prevent the common complications from uncontrolled diabetes.
About The Clinic
Our Goal is to help diabetic patients and their families learn how to manage and prevent the common complications from uncontrolled diabetes. We provide a RN diabetes educator to help develop a plan for monitoring blood sugar levels, following a healthy diet, incorporating daily exercise and scheduling annual preventative physician visits. The diabetes educator will have a team of professionals including a pharmacist for medication review and recommendations; a dietician to provide education and help with planning nutritious meals; and a physical therapist/ personal exercise trainer to help develop an exercise plan. In addition to the one on one visits provided to patients, we will also offer monthly group classes about a variety of topics to help improve the health of diabetic patients and their families.
For more information, call: 661-721-1497
Types of Diabetes
There are three major types of diabetes:
- Type 1 Diabetes: The body fails to produce the insulin needed for cells to absorb glucose.
- Type 2 Diabetes: Results from the body failing to properly use insulin that it produces.
- Gestational Diabetes: Onset that is a result of pregnancy.
Getting Started with Self-Management
Keys to good diabetes control:
- Test your blood sugar
- Make healthy food choices
- Be physically active
- Work towards a healthy weight
- Take medicine as prescribed
Test your blood sugar often and keep a record in writing. This will tell you and the Diabetes Clinic staff how well your plan is working for you.
Always bring your blood sugar diary, and a current list of medications with you to all your health care appointments. The Diabetes Clinic staff will help you use your records to adjust your diet, medicine, and activity.
Basic Guidelines for Diabetes Care
- Review blood sugar/exercise diary with Clinic Staff.
- Blood pressure check
- Weight and BMI measurements
- Foot exam
- Group education/exercise classes
Every 3 Months
- Appointment with Primary Care Physician
- Blood drawn for lab work
Every 6 Months
- Dental Exam
Once a Year
- Dilated eye exam
- Thorough foot exam with Podiatrist
- Flu Shot